Thursday, January 8, 2009

Don't worry, he's strong!


We just got back from taking Sullivan to a pediatric ENT. We were so relieved to hear that his cyst was no big deal, but that the bright pink streak below the cyst was the more worrisome of the two. I just assumed that the pink streak below the cyst was a burn from the fluid that the cyst leaks, but I was way off. The pink streak is actually what the ENT called a sinus track. He explained that the sinus tracks are like fingers and that Sullivan's just didn't close tight in the womb which gives it a pink fleshy exposed look to it.

So, the bad news is that as soon as Sullivan gains some weight, he will need surgery to correct this. The good news is that it isn't worrisome (well, besides for the surgery part...not sure I can even handle that). The ENT said that it could go as far back as his throat so this procedure could be short and sweet or take forever depending on what the inside looks like. He also said it will leave a pretty good sized scar, though I am not worried about that. Scars fade and become "battle wounds." So, more updates in March when we go back to schedule the surgery.

6 comments:

James and Lauren said...

im glad its nothing too problematic!

Mindy Brown said...

We will remember to keep him inour prayers.

rebecca said...

Darling picture of SuperSullivan! I don't know if I could handle sugery for my baby either, but you will, and he'll be fabulous. Keep us updated. He'll (and you'll) be in my prayers.

Jodi said...

Okay, I'm finally catching up on blogs. You have a beautiful family Jen! I can't believe how big Sullivan is already and I'm sure everything will go perfect with his surgery - he does look strong! And I had no idea your "baby" sister had another baby and FIVE at that! Where have I been? I'll have to let Mick know and see if he realized it was Danielle's FIFTH!!!!! What do they have now? And your Christmas pictures are pricess. I love pictures. Happy belated holidays. :)

Jodie said...

Sorry to hear that Sullivan is going to have to have surgery. But, you are right, he is a strong little boy! Y'all are in our thoughts and prayers!

ab5cgang said...

Sorry to hear that your little guy has to have surgery. That can't be fun. But the good news is that little ones seem to heal fast, you have a good doctor and the lord is on your side. What great blessings.
I understand the apprehension with the surgery. I am not sure I want to send my five year old into having the surgery to have his cyst removed. Good luck.