Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Steam Locomotive UP #844

During World War II Union Pacific operated some of the most modern and powerful steam locomotives ever built. Then the diesel came in and UP started buying them up and using them instead of the steam locomotives. Everyone of these old steam engines have been retired (on display in museums etc.,.), except good old #844. There is one more locomotive that was retired and then restored, but #844 has never stopped. I discovered that this old locomotive would be making a maintenance stop in a town close to me. We had no plans for the day, so I decided to take Sullivan for a look. He loves cars and tractors, why not trains too. I mentioned my plans to Jeff and he decided he'd take a lunch break and go with us. My main man Van LOVED it! The locomotive was a whole lot bigger than I imagined and the horn almost left me deaf in my only good ear. After our little visit to the locomotive, we stopped by a little diner that we've heard a lot about and tried a "hog" burger for lunch (hamburger patty with ham on it) and it was delicious! Such a fun little day trip with my 2 favorite guys!!



No comments: