Thursday, March 13, 2008

A post about Kamryn


We recently told Kamryn she was adopted. Yes, we waited till she was 5 1/2 years old and not because we thought she wouldn't understand, but more so that I wanted it to be "perfect." I've been planning this day for a few years. We were contacted by a birth mom about a month ago (don't get too excited because she didn't write us more than that one time) and I was sooo excited and happy that I started crying. Kamryn asked me why I was crying and I told her that we "might" be having a baby soon. She asked how will you know and I said "through an e-mail." I stopped myself knowing how confusing this must be to her. She has been praying for the longest time "for mommy to have a baby." I mentioned our conversation to Jeff and he immediately said it was time to tell her about her adoption. I agreed and instantly my plans for the perfect evening spent telling her of her adoption were mostly eliminated. Though, honestly, it didn't matter how we told her, it was special either way. I am not going to go into the details because it is all written down in my journal and is so special that I don't want the world to know. My whole point in telling this story is her reaction. I was worried that the first words out of her mouth would be "you mean, your not my real mommy and daddy." It was the furthest thing from her mind. She thought adoption was "way cool" and proceeded to name off her friends one by one and asked if they were adopted. She thinks it is pretty cool that she is the only one, but that her new baby brother or sister will be adopted as well. We looked through our scrapbooks at pictures of her adoption and she saw pictures of her birth mom. She was also very concerned about me and how pregnancy is dangerous for me. I assured her that I was fine and that I'd live a long time, especially since I won't be pregnant again. I love my little girl so much! It is actually really weird for me to write all of this because she doesn't feel "adopted"...she is our daughter.


Kamryn also has an obsession for "snackies" as we call them in our family. She is a breakfast eater and will eat everything I make and then some. When I make pancakes she can eat at least 4 of them. But, the other meals I have no such luck. She would rather eat a piece of cheese, a yogurt or something small (snacks) instead for lunch or dinner. She hates to sit down and eat, she'd rather eat on the go. I think I am just going to start calling dinner and lunch "snackie time."


She was invited to her first birthday boy party. She totally has her Dad beat. Jeff was invited to his first birthday girl party when he was in the 1st grade! Ha



She is also a little budding artist and loves to sit down with her Dad and draw. London's style is a little funkier than Kamryn's. Kamryn is a sketcher and she loves to draw people along with making crafty stuff.


Kamryn is a leader. She makes friends easily. She loves to play with London and is a great big sister. She is a sponge and can learn easily. I can go on and on, but time won't permit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kammi is so cute!! I'm glad you had a wonderful experience telling her about her adoption! That will be a memory forever!! And I'm so happy that she thinks it's so cool!! :) We can't wait for you to have another baby. I will be sewing up a storm for sure!! :)