Thursday, July 10, 2008

Emergency Preparedness


One of my favorite summer activities is canning. Their are very few things that are more satisfying than working hours in your kitchen preserving food in jars. I love the process, then seeing my work finished and I love counting the jars and figuring out exactly how much money I saved by doing it. I also love feeling the peace that I have knowing I am doing what I can to prepare my little family for emergencies.

We just bought 5 gallons worth of strawberries for $20 and I made several quarts of freezer jam. I think we are stocked up for awhile since we really only use jam on PB & J sandwiches. I have a friend in our ward who just happens to be the emergency preparedness guru. She gave me several ideas of what to do with my extra strawberries. I am really interested in recipes that use my food storage and she has passed on these (if you have any extra, please e-mail them to me).

Granola
Mix:
4 cups regular oats
4 cups quick oats
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 T. Cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 flaked coconut
1/2 cup powdered milk

1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 T. Water
Melt wet ingredients in microwave 1 min; stir halfway through. Pour over dry mixture mix. Pour into two shallow baking pans and bake until lightly toasted, for chewy granola 15 minutes, for crunchy 25-30 minutes (300 degrees). Add dried cranberries or raisins...eat plain or in milk.

Cake Mix Cookies
Mix:
1 box cake mix
2 eggs (dehydrated eggs or knox gelatin works too)
1/2 cup oil

Spoon by teaspoon on cookie sheet, bake 8 minutes (golden brown edges) at 350 degrees. (I haven't tried these yet)

4 comments:

Jodi said...

That jam looks delicious!! My mom used to can a lot and I loved it. Good for you - I really should learn. Thanks for the recipes. :) Yum!

Cara said...

me too me too! i am still in the process of canning freezer jam for the first time. my mom also freezes extra berries with sugar on them. she says they don't get freezer burned as bad with the sugar. she adds 1 cup sugar to 4 cups berries and places in a bag, then if later in the year she needs to make jam she just pulls out a bag and adds the extra sugar while cooking, or if she just wants to use the frozen berries, they are sugared perfectly already and you just have to unthaw.
oh and by the way i have tried the cake mix cookies and they are really good! sometimes we will make a cream cheese filling for them and other times we will place an andes mint on top and let it melt, or we will wrap a mini candy bar in the middle of each mmmmm.

Unknown said...

Should I be calling you Martha? Between the sewing and canning, my goodness!!! You are super crafty :)

Jen said...

Ha! Martha is my middle name, literally.

Nah, seriously, that was sweet and all...but I am only good at "copying" and "following".