Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Birds and the Bees

I was laying on my bed with my girls and we were comparing belly sizes. We had just eaten a big Sunday meal, so our bellies were protruding a lot.

Me: Wow London, it looks like you have a baby in there!

London: (looking very concerned) Do I have a baby in my belly?

Me: Oh no sweetie, you are too little to have a baby in there. You need to be much older for that to happen.

Kamryn: How do you get a baby in your belly?

(Pause...Ugh, why do I do this to myself!!!! I started this conversation?! What was I thinking!)

Me: Well...(trying to think of a way to not get into details while still being open enough that they can feel comfortable asking me anything).

London: You have to have a Daddy and be merweed (married).

Me: Yes, that is true. So, you get married to a returned missionary and then...

Kamryn: I know, I know...You make a paper baby doll, then cut your tummy and then put the paper in your belly and then wait for it to turn into a baby. (I had a c-section with London, FYI)

Me: (Laughing on the inside) Well, not exactly, but it was a good thought. You see, when a Mommy and Daddy...

Kamryn: (Interrupting again, thank goodness!) I know...Heavenly Father puts the baby in your tummy.

Me: Right on Kammi! (Phew)

I know I'll have to have this conversation with my kids someday, but right now I am just so grateful they are still young enough to come up with silly ways a baby can end up in your tummy.

5 comments:

Catherine said...

I am so glad you wrote that down... someday when they come back from their honeymoons, you can joke them about it!

Unknown said...

That is too funny! Paper doll babies... kids are so imaginative!

lesmisgirl said...

Oh, wow. That was a close one. :) Phew. Good luck with that conversation when it comes for real! :)

CarolAnn said...

I'm so glad you shared this! I especially loved the part about the returned missionary...you are such a good mom!

James and Lauren said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... I am still laughing. I can totally picture this conversation... hahahaha